Friday, September 17, 2010

New Orleans (Day 3-5): Meeting the People

I had a conversation with my driver, a 40-year resident of New Orleans.  She told me all about the destruction of Katrina.  She told me about the lake that broke the levies in 3 places, causing 6-14 "feets" of water in homes, not receding for 3 weeks.  She lost her home.



A "Bad Boys Home" beaten by the hurricane.

She went on to tell me about the history of Voodoo and spirits in New Orleans, and then told me all the things I had to see.  I had to try "cher-boiled" (I think she was saying "Char-Broiled") oysters with a side of butter, gumbo, jumbalaya, and I had to spend the morning sitting on the benches by the Mississippi.

We ended up having a cup of tea together, she telling me about her 5 children and 17 grandchildren, all in the area.  I didn't have anything to say in comparison to her life stories...

The courtyard at my hotel.
Did I mention how much I dislike eating Alligator?


We'll be on the road again the day after tomorrow.  Next stop...Houston.

2 comments:

  1. Re: Alligator

    I bet they dislike it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great experience! I really want to go to New Orleans sometime. :)

    PS- Alligator is best smoked- but can be really bad if not done properly.

    ReplyDelete