Saturday, February 26, 2011

New Orleans (Day 1-2): The best food I've ever had in my life...



 9.14.10


MUFFALETTA: "Ham, salami and pastrami piled high on an







 Italian roll topped with melted Swiss cheses and our 
famous olive salad,
served with fries"











...except for my Grandma's. 


This is unlike anything I have ever seen.  I'm staying in a hotel right on Bourbon Street.  Voodo shops, jazz, spirits, prostitutes in doorways calling for men across the street, ligit. pimps in royal blue suits, hats and canes.  My favorite encounter so far was:
"You dropped something,"  (I look on the ground) "No, you dropped your smile."



I saw the Mississipi River for the first time in my life, and the most amazing artwork along the streets.  I listened to a street band perform "When the Saints Go Marching In" while drinking out of this world "cafe au lait" at a little outdoor table at "Cafe Du Monde". 




So now that I've enjoyed my meat, cheese and olive (that's right, j.h... mmm olives) sandwich, it's time to try the Gumbo and Jambalaya...

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad that you're going to be blogging!! :)

    Miss you!

    Mike Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have time and they're in town Rebirth Brass Band can't be beat! Tell jp hey for me and eat some oysters on the half shell! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you Diane! So glad you are doing this. Love it.

    ReplyDelete